Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sharing a Little of Myself With My Blog Friends


I wanted to share a little piece of me with all of you. This is my living room that I redecorated myself in a sort of retro french country shabby cottage style sort of way. Everything in the room was found in antique stores and flea markets. I made the curtains myself using wonderful fabric that I found for only $1.00 a yard. All of the furnishings came from a retired doctors Victorian style home and had been in his formal living room that was rarely used.  The funky high backed chairs are my favorite with their blue and green velvet striped fabric. I love the mix of funky retro and that sort of french country. I love the golds and greens and blues and all of  the vintage colored glass.
   My bedroom is my pretty shabby cottage room. I painted the walls a lovely orchid inspired purple. I have a nice collection of antique quilts and vintage chenilles that I just love to alternate between when dressing up my bed. 
  The amazing antique quilt shown in nearly 100 years old and was hand stitched by my great grandmother. It is amazing, and I was in awe of it when my mother gave it to me about 2 years ago. It is a beautiful masterpiece of hand stitches done with love. It is wonderful condition and was very loved and well taken care of all of these years.
  After receiving that quilt from my mother my husband & I decided the handwork and old antique and vintage fabrics were amazing. We started collecting and have been very blessed in finding some amazing handiwork for bargain prices. It does something special for me to hold these pieces in my hands and image the people who made these beautiful masterpieces to keep their families warm.

3 comments:

  1. Hello~Just stopping by to say hello and thank you for visiting me. Lovely quilt....thats on my list for when I'm sitting still long enough! Oh how I long for that day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I came by to thank you for signing up to follow my blog. I so appreciate it - stop by anytime and I'd love for you to leave me a comment.

    That is a beautiful crystal lamp and lampshade in your living room - love it! And your bedroom walls - I'm crazy for the violet walls - they look stunning. Your special quilt and pillows look so beautiful and inviting...

    Cynthia K. (Beauty and Blessings)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julie: I have a (actually two) quilt(s) from my grandmother who was born in 1878. Made by hand and don't know how they did it. It is so large and that Wedding Band pattern. I used it here in Florida for a few months then put it in a plastic under-the-bed storage container to keep it there until I get my own place. I am like you being so impressed with the way they did things 100 years ago. These are true Treasured Items. Love your blog and the pillows on your bed. The material for $1.00/yard, yes it is out there and have to continually check to find these good deals before someone else does--before you. The curtains are beautiful. You're very talented! I love all your work!!!

    Susan in Florida

    ReplyDelete